Sunday, August 15, 2010

Happy 10 year anniversary to us:)

We just celebrated 10 years of being married! When we were first married Vince was a janitor and I was a receptionist. He drove a 65’ corvair that he had to crawl underneath the car to start (seriously), and I drove a white Toyota tercel. We dated for a year and a half got engaged then married 5 months later. I was 19 and he was 20. The Lord provided for us to get married and serve Him together. We felt like we had so much when we got married. We had a 486 sq foot apartment that was all ours, well ours because we paid the rent. We had two pretty good running cars, a bed, a couch that was just big enough for the two of us and a coffee table, that’s it. It was all our stuff. We didn’t own a TV or computer but we did have a phone in our apartment with our own phone number. I didn’t really know how to cook and we were so busy with work and being involved in ministry that we were hardly ever home. So… I’m not sure what we ate those first few years but I do remember shopping for our groceries at the 99 cents store all the time. I think I shopped for everything we ever needed at that store. We ate lots of macaroni and grill cheeses….and dollar hamburgers from Carl’s jr. Then after 4 years we had our first baby boy (Elisha). I quit my job and Vince worked 2 jobs to provide for us. While he was gone a lot I learned to cook and I made some great meals and some horrible meals, I packed his lunch’s everyday and even started picking out his clothes….but he didn’t really like that very much so it didn’t last. I then for the first time, got to make our house a home. It was hard at times with him being gone a lot but when he came home at night we just loved being together and wanted to do whatever it took to keep me at home with our baby. We loved being parents so much that the Lord blessed us with another baby boy (Josiah) a year and a half after our first. Since then we’ve bought and sold a bunch of cars, rented a house, bought a house, found out we were pregnant for the third time, sold a house, lived in a 1 bedroom apartment with our two kids and now just bought a house again. We’ve had extra money at times and been so poor at times that we had to search our entire house for pennies and eat lots of beans and rice. The Lord has always provided and satisfied us. He has given me a wonderful husband who loves me, provides for me, and always points me to Christ and two (almost 3) beautiful boys. Sometimes it may not look like we have all the earthly possessions to those that are in the world, but I still feel like we have so much, and so much more then we even need. We have each other and we have our Lord. When I stop and think about all the Lord has given me I feel so rich!

5 comments:

Jon and alyssa said...

Kim... That was the sweetest thing I have read in a long time. You and Vince have been such an example of a God centered relationship. It has been so fun to see you guys go from dating, to engaged, to married to parents! I still remember when you guys drove us up to camp while you were dating, and shortly after became engaged.

Kim said...

Alyssa- I totally remember driving you guys up there too....that was so fun:) that was like a few weeks before we got engaged!

Jacob said...

Wow, you've been posting a lot of blogs lately, sissy! I really like this one a lot!

Anonymous said...

Wow Kimberly...this is such a great post. You are an amazing writer..love you so much, honey

Ann Leidel said...

Hi Kim, Your story sounds a lot like mine. God is so good. He has our lives in His hands. Couldn't ask for anything more.