Thursday, August 5, 2010

New house, nice neighbors, and harvest crusade!

Most of you probably know we moved to new house a few weeks ago. I guess I will use that as my excuse for not blogging in awhile. The house is a 1955 house and we are very excited to have the extra room for when the baby comes along as we were starting to out grow our 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. Anyways one thing that is exciting about moving is a whole new set of neighbors. After living here for 2 weeks the only person we had yet to meet was the guy who lives right next to us, only because he was in his backyard when Vince peaked over the fence…so they obviously started talking. So last night Vince thought we should take our little family and walk around to each house on our street and introduce ourselves and invite them to the Harvest Crusade. I thought that was a great idea (at first); I even thought maybe I could make cookies and we can bring them to each neighbor and welcome ourselves to the neighborhood. Luckily I didn’t have the time to make the cookies because when it came time to walk up to each house and introduce ourselves it seemed so out of place. It seemed so funny as we stood at the door of each house and me being 8 months pregnant. But Vince is totally into stuff like this so I went along with it although I was thinking I wanted to turn around and go home. I was just glad I wasn’t carrying a plate of cookies that would have been even more awkward. On a side note I thought when you move into a house neighbors are suppose to come to you and say “hi” instead all 4 of us were walking up and down our street to each house. So after the first few houses I realized this was going to take awhile….as each house was taking like 10 to 15 minutes to meet the people, invite them to the crusade and so on. So as we talked with our various neighbors the kids ran though the grass, picked flowers out of flower beds, drove their scooter across the lawn, and stood at people’s gates and made their dogs bark the entire time. Josiah even managed to crack and break one of our neighbors lights on there walk way that leads up to their house. And even as I’m sitting here typing this I can see Josiah’s transformer water bottle sitting on the window ledge of the lady’s house who lives across the street. I guess he set it there last night and there it sits. So we definitely welcomed ourselves to the neighborhood and I’m really glad we did, it ended up being fun. Although it was kinda awkward at first it was worth it to be able to invite them to church and the crusade and hopefully be able to share with them more in the future. So the point of this blog is go invite your neighbors to the harvest crusade or even church. You may be the only Christian neighbor they have!

2 comments:

Jon and alyssa said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you guys getting a new house! You'll have to post pictures soon!

We'll be praying for your new neighbors, that there would be open doors!

Anonymous said...

There deffinitely won't be any open doors...literally or to share the gospel after the way we terrorized the block! Jk.

Two notes for Alyssa...and anyone else that reads:
1) I did tell the lady across the street that Josiah broke her light and that we would replace it.
2) I wasn't just peeking over my neighbors fence, he said something to me and we started talking...he was kind of like Tim Allen's neighbor in Home Improvement.

It was fun and a good place to start from in being a good witness.

Vince